Friday, December 21, 2007

Saludos

Dumbest thing I observed yesterday while sitting at a cafe in Buenos Aires: "It doesn't get dark early here." Right after I made that remark, Jeff Foxworthy called me on my cell phone to personally inform me that I wasn't smarter than a 5th grader, and would I please be on his show. My friend Laura explained things to me in a way I could understand, loudly and slowly: SEE SWISHY, IT'S SUMMER HERE. THE DAYS ARE LONGER. THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.

I plan on eating my way through this trip and, unfortunately, our first restaurant choice was un desastre. If anyone makes it to this fine city, definitely avoid Pampa Picante. Though the staff was friendly, it took over 1/2 hour to be seated, over twenty minutes to get menus after we were seated, and then we were told that the kitchen had closed. We ordered carpaccio and croquettes, items that didn't involve grilling. The croquettes were kind of gross. The carpaccio was not that great. And we couldn't figure out if the couple at the table next to us was making fun of us.

1 comment:

Butternut said...

And the water does swirl the other way when it flushes. Sweet science how your mysteries confuse us.

Maybe the days are longer because they don't have stupid Daylight Savings Time. Damn agriculture.

Oh and happy Winter Solstice!