Sunday, April 10, 2005

Potentially Awkward Celebrity Encounter

Many years ago, when I worked for a PR firm, I found myself alone in an elevator with a comic the firm represented. I never like to talk to celebs unless I have something specific to say, having been burned once by Robert Townsend in Santa Barbara (not literally). So I'm in an elevator with Caroline Rhea in the building where I worked. She was leaving, as was I.

It turns out that I did, in fact, have something specific and kind of interesting to share with her. Her father, Dr. Rhea, lives in Tucson where he practices medicine. My mother, Dr. Swisher (does NOT practice medicine), was one of his patients. She went in to see him one fine day for a regular check-up and the two were chatting and somehow it came up that I was a comedian in Los Angeles. Of course Dr. Rhea then told my mom that his daughter was a comedian in LA as well. Of course he won that round because his daughter was famous and my mother's daughter was, well, one of thousands of people living in LA that fancied themselves comics but had day jobs as well.

So I'm in the elevator with Caroline and I don't say anything to her. Here's why: Her father is a gynecologist. I had envisioned in my head how the conversation might go down. Caroline, a celebrity, sharing an elevator with a total stranger who says, "My mom is a patient of your dad's. Isn't that neat? What are the odds?" Implicitly, what I'm saying is, "Hey, your dad's totally seen my mom's snatch! Going to the lobby?" There's really no place a conversation can go after that.

I also imagined that if I were in her position, such an awkward encounter might convince me it was time to switch publicists. Then I'd be known as the employee who thought it would be a good idea to bring up the subject of vagina with important clients.

So I didn't say anything and Caroline was none the wiser. Until last night. We were in the same show. I went up second in the line-up so Ms. Rhea hadn't arrived yet. But I did share the story with her at the end of the night. She seemed to find it amusing, but we have no plans to share an elevator together anytime soon.

Now I'm guessing my mother will be the one uncomfortable that I shared this story. For the record, Dr. Rhea no longer privy to her privates. They're in different states.

Wow. Now I'm comfortable.

28 comments:

Sidecar said...

No, I'm uncomfortable.

Donald said...

If it makes you feel any better (and why wouldn't it?), Caroline Rhea is no longer famous. You may even slightly edge her out because you have some sort of cult status.

RedLobo said...

I think you need a new catagory for your posts labelled TMI (Too Much Information). Sometimes not posting at all is preferred to reading your insanely creepy posts. I am also uncomfortable, and I feel dirty as well. I think I need a couple of showers to wash off the memories of this one. Just like that time you posted a picture of you half naked washing your dog.

P.S. WWJD?

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I wanna be part of the cult! Can I get one of those purple wrap thingies!! Woo hoo!

Pall Mall said...

I am not uncomfortable. That was a great story.

Judy said...

Great story!

robelanator said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SwanShadow said...

The only thing that could have made that story more hilarious is if you yourself had been Dr. Rhea's patient.

"Hi, I'm Laura...delightful to meet you...I've been naked from the waist down six inches from your father's nose."

Now there's a conversation with no place to go.

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Unless of course, SS, she came back with, "Oh my gawd! So have I! Don't you love a man with a big nose?! Come, let's have coffee."

Jim-Bob said...

Wait, your Mom's privates are in different states? Now there's a woman that gets around! *Ba Dum Chee*

...Yeah, still working on that one.

Estevan Carlos said...

Swisher's Mom's 'gina. This is the first post I've read during my online search for Laura Swisher information.

Not quite what I was looking for.

Hello Laura, I missed the Laura Dates a Dork Contest.

I'm sorry.

Estevan Carlos said...

I noticed B66 is one of your favorite films. Do you ever see Vincent around there? Have you seen his, "Brown Bunny"?

Laura Swisher said...

estevan, i've seen brown bunny and VG around here. actually, VG spoke before the screening of brown bunny that i went to. i've also run into him hiking. he did not say hello to me.

Daily Texican said...

ditto. not uncomfortable!

Johnjon said...

Yo, This blog is pretty neat. You should check out mine sometime. It pretty much covers free web hosting related stuff.

TWPAdmin said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. There is a lot of useful information about automotive design site turnkey web in it. We offer Turnkey Websites and Reliable Hosting. We also provide a blogging service that will help your site get indexed fast and keep the search engines visiting your site. Click here for more information about automotive design site turnkey web.
Thank you
TWP Admin

BTR Beta said...

i agree with one of the above posts web hosting company is easier to understand when you have good info , i found web hosting company a good quality source for web hosting company all the info i needed was there

Infactahost.com said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a contact form php script site/blog. It pretty much covers contact form php script related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Helping People Live Their Dreams said...

This mysql hosting blog is awesome.
If you get a moment you may want to visit
this mysql hosting site
it's pretty awesome too!

Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

xrayrob said...

Check out business money

photokorea said...

Hello

I woul like to tell photo contest information on your cool blog site.


Dynamic korea

Apply 2005 Photo contestApply 2005 Photo contest

More information
click here

Daniel said...

Yours By Design Heating and Cooling is a full service Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractor based in Blaine, MN
installing residential heating and air and commercial heating and air.**Heating****Cooling**titan tankless water heatertitan tankless water heater

Emerald Web Hosting said...

Hello,

Just thought I would check out your blog.
I am new to blogging. I hope you don't mind me posting to your blog. If you are interested in checking out my blog and making a post that would be great.

I have a fast hosting web site/blog. It pretty much covers ##WEB HOSTING## related stuff.


Thanks,
Ed

devboards.net said...

http://www.devboards.net

Hello there,

I would llike to tell you about DevBoards.net. It's a web design and development forum for webmasters al over the world to meet and discuss all topics relating to web design and development.

We are currently looking for members so if you would like to be part of a fast growing friendly community, please join. We also run monthly contests, often with cash prizes.

This month we are running a referal contest, so if you would like to win some cash, register and refer all your friends! We also pay $0.50 per refereral you make!

Join today for free: http://www.devboards.net

Thank you

Paul Adams said...

Hey Fellow, you have a great blog here! I have a web
site & blog about yahoo web hosting services.
Yours is top-notch!
If you have a moment, please visit my site
yahoo web hosting services
I wish you all the best!

Dahunter said...

Hey how are you doing? just letting you know that someone from Central America read your blog!
This is my site:
web hosting division spider services technologies
Regards,
Charles

Addison said...

Hey, while searching for widgets for my blog, I stumbled upon www.widgetmate.com and wow! I found what I wanted. A cool news widget. My blog is now showing latest news with title, description and images. Took just few minutes to add. Awesome!