Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I Heart Ted














I have more or less resigned myself to the fact that I am the type of person who feels the need to give voice to my frustrations. I like to complain. I like to rant about how f*cked the world is and bristle at whatever latest injustice I come across. When self-help enthusiasts are encouraged to purge "negative" friends from their lives, there's a good chance my name would show up on their the purge list (provided I knew them). So while my brain is constantly working to find a way to articulate all that is wrong with the world, I am nevertheless a sucker for that which is life-affirming.

And that's why I'm drawn to Ted, a conference that brings "inspired thinkers and doers" together.

Although I've never attended a Ted talk in person, I've attended many online. The first, I believe, was given by "Blink" author Malcolm Gladwell on spaghetti sauce. Doing research for a "Lost" segment, I came across one by JJ Abrams. They're really kind of great.

So now, when I find myself getting overwhelmed by crap, I'll hop over to Ted and watch a talk. And just yesterday I discovered the Ted podcast, which means I've got hours and hours of great stuff to listen to in the car.

And when I was in San Francisco, I would try and make it to Heather Gold's Talk Show, which was similarly engaging to me.

So if you want to take a break from crapdome, seek out Ted...if you haven't already.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Jill Bolte-Taylor's Ted Talk* is incredible. I've watched it dozens of times.

* http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

Butternut said...

I love TED too. I've watched nearly every video (insomnia can be useful sometimes). I've gotten a couple people turned on to it too.

I bitch about stuff all the time too. Politics and work mainly. I still keep an upbeat attitude though. It's just venting, mostly. The negative friends that I've cut out were racists, insensitive, needy, or just flat out depressing to be around.

Bitching is encouraged! In fact I have a hard time finding politically minded folks to have rational conversations with. You are rational, right? Hmm...