Wednesday, February 15, 2006

One Coca Cola, Neat...


















No ice. Here's another story you probably wish you'd never heard about. I'm one of those people who would rather be unaware of all the disgusting things I ingest. I like Fig Newtons, for example. There may, in fact, be all kinds of foreign products ground up with the fig but I don't want to imagine what they are. I've gone my whole life without gettting sick from eating Fig Newtons so they're probably not that bad.

But then some twelve-year-old has to come along and shatter my little bubble, make me panic everytime I order a soft drink from Baja Fresh. This budding scientist discovered that the water in a fast food restaurant's toilet is cleaner than its ice. Why hasn't the health department ever conducted this experiment? Why does this news come out of a junior highschool science project.

Damn it! It's going to take me a while to forget this.

6 comments:

Clinton Freeman said...

It been definitively shown that the toilet seat is the cleanest surface in any building.
You can't live with your head in the sand and there's no need to panic.
Either get your ice out the toilet or take comfort in knowing that the human body is so good at dealing with germs that we even kill them with our naked butts.

Tim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matthew said...

Aw man, why'd you have to go and ruin ice for me?

Butternut said...

So, I'm supposed to put the ice on my ass before I eat it?

ben said...

I might have some insight as a former restaurant manager...

At every place, we never cleaned the workings of the ice machines - dark, damp behemoths that drop huge sheets of cubes from a mysteriously inaccessible apparatus into a holding container (which WAS occasionally cleaned, depending on the restaurant, and whether or not someone accidently broke a glass over the ice...). The area where the ice was formed was just not easily cleaned, and you run the risk of fucking up the ice machine. We concentrated mostly on the bins where the ice was transfered for the servers and bar, which were cleaned every night.

On the other hand, toilets were easily cleaned with an abundance of antibacterial, bleachy, soapy hot water every damn day.

There could be a correlation between these facts...

Ice Machine - Difficult to clean and be sure caustic substances are completely rinsed, extremely expensive and business crippling if broken

Toilets - Easily and regularly cleaned with harsh chemicals, easily rinsed and not used as much as the ice machine (which is never turned off, with multiple people scooping out ice many times a shift)

Believe me, there are more reasons than dirty ice to be wary of restaurants.

Dahunter said...

Hi, Just browsing around for ideas for my site. (While we're at the same topic), I'm just getting started if you want to visit:
windows web hosting

Charles